Private & Shared Cambridge Punting Tours
Tyrrell’s Punting Cambridge Co. was set up by locals who know Cambridge and its history inside out. We are specialists in chauffeured tours and have been running punting tours for over 15 years.
We have the capability to take 100 passengers simultaneously so don’t worry if you’re a large group. Our tours depart and return to Jesus Green, please see our location here. Our Cambridge punting tours are 50 minutes in duration and you will see 7 Colleges and 9 bridges along the route.
Punting in Cambridge has been a favourite pastime in the UK since the 19th century. The reason it is still popular in Cambridge is due to the immense relaxation and peacefulness it brings to the mind of the traveller. Even before the 19th century punting had been utilized for fishing and trading purposes.
There are several punting spots in the UK, but the most renowned among them is the punting in Cambridge. The reasons include the numerous scenic locations at every corner of the journey. Some of the world-famous wonders that can be seen along the route include several historic buildings, churches, monuments and bridges.
Many international tourists have made it a point to experience punting in Cambridge every time they visit the UK. The sheer beauty and vibrant ecosystem that one can experience through this trip are truly amazing.
Essentially Cambridge punting can be done by oneself but it best to hire a punter who is familiar with the complex waterways of Cambridge. These proficient punters can offer a smooth boat ride through the River Cam along with an interesting narration of several historical anecdotes surrounding Cambridge.
If you are nervous about boat rides, fear not, as the waters are comparatively shallow and the boat itself is a sturdy and dynamically built craft. It is capable of providing both comfort and safety to the passengers throughout the journey. Moreover, life jackets are available for everyone including the kids, and the punter himself is highly skilled to provide any assistance if required.
Popular Attractions Along the Trip
Cambridge punting is an incredible tourist attraction by itself, as an exquisite number of magnificent locations and landmarks are covered in this trip.
Some of the famous landmarks and scenic locations include:
- King College Chapel – The largest stone vaulted chapel in the world.
- Mathematical Bridge – An epic geometrical marvel built by James Essex in the shape of an arc. But shockingly, the timbers used to construct the bridge consist only of straight timbers.
- Bridge of Sighs – Officially known as the Hertford Bridge, this is a frequent tourist attraction spot for photo sessions.
Ideal Season for Punting
Punting in Cambridge can be experienced throughout the year in every season.
- During the Summer – People enjoy going for punting to spend an amazing time with their friends and family. The gardens maintained by the Cambridge Colleges will be blossoming with a wide variety of ravishing flowers.
- During the Autumn – Cambridge can transform into spectacular scenery with gorgeous foliage. The River Cam will be flanked by trees, leaves, and other vegetation drenched in autumn colours.
- During the Spring – Cherry blossoms, tulips, and daffodils can put up an incredible show along the river banks. This is a great time for taking the children out to explore nature and also to experience the tranquility of the River Cam.
- During the Winter – Punting can be both challenging and fun if you are ready to experience a bit of snow. The prices will be a lot cheaper during winters and you can enjoy a great deal of peace and calmness with lesser chaos.
Each season brings a different perspective to the journey and environment. Everyone should try punting once in a lifetime and enjoy this iconic and spectacular outdoor activity.
Why Tyrrell’s Punting Cambridge?
Value for money
Unique things to do in Cambridge
Whether you are coming to Cambridge for the day, weekend or you’re a local looking for something a bit different to do, this list has you covered. Cambridge is a bustling city that welcomes thousands of tourists weekly, it is estimated that the city sees around 8 million visitors a year. There are an
Do you have to book to go punting in Cambridge or can you just turn up?
At Tyrrell’s, we are here to help you find the easiest way possible to book the best punting in Cambridge tour. We offer multiple booking opportunities which are catered to your best interests! Read more to discover our booking systems! Punting in Cambridge- How to book At Tyrrell’s Punting Cambridge, we offer an option to
Is Punting worth it?
The short answer is yes, definitely, punting’s worth it. Punting is a quintessential British activity, and paired with the atmospheric sights of some of Cambridge University’s most iconic colleges (we are looking at you, Kings College Chapel) it is an almost inevitable must-do on any trip to Cambridge. A bit about Punting in
Winter Punting in Cambridge
Thinking of coming winter punting in Cambridge? Let us explain why this is a must-do this season. Christmas in Cambridge There are two things that Christmas and Cambridge have in common; one, they both start with the letter C; and two, they are both magical. So whether you are a Cambridge local or a visitor
Punting at Christmas
Punting at Christmas Winter in Cambridge is more like your daily advent calendar that offers something different and unique each day. The curious part is you will never know what the next day provides, but be ready for excitement, especially punting at Christmas. Cambridge In Winter The Cambridge winters offer a heavenly atmosphere anyone falls
The Most Beautiful Places in England To Go Punting
Punting became a fun leisure activity on the River Thames in London, but many tourists enjoy Punting in Cambridge because it gives them a chance to see the colleges at Cambridge and Oxford in style while being chauffeured by tour groups or students looking to earn some money outside class. Here is our list of